This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

Stretching limbs

Rigging, animation, import/export of characters, props and cameras comprehensive tool set for After Effects.
csmotion

Stretching limbs

Post by csmotion » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:51 am

Hey,

Firstly, I just wanted to say that DUIK is literally the best thing ever to happen to After Effects. Donating to the last crowdfunding was a worthy investment, so thanks for all the great work.

I did have a quick question about stretching limbs. If I use separated AI artwork for the joints in the arms for example, when I stretch I get this effect. I know if I use puppet tools it's more forgiving. I've got a workaround of using an alpha layer to hide the bit that sticks out but wanted to know if there was something I was doing wrong.

All the best,

Chris

Duduf

Re: Stretching limbs

Post by Duduf » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:20 am

Hi, and many thanks for your support!

There are several ways to achieve this, depending on what you prefer/the style of the character:

- With puppet pins, but keeping the artworks separated: add only two pins per layer, one at each end, add bones, and parent them to the structures.

- By connecting the Y-scale of the layer to the scale value (which is exposed in the data of the IK Effect). It works well, but you may have to precompose so the Y axis is aligned to the artwork

- With an animated mask connected to the IK

- With an alpha matte, as you did

All of these work well, I think the alpha matte has the best performance, the puppet pins the worst ;)