This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

Bezier IK using in rubberhose style rigging creates a knot

Rigging, animation, import/export of characters, props and cameras comprehensive tool set for After Effects.
hiroober

Bezier IK using in rubberhose style rigging creates a knot

Post by hiroober » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:16 am

Greetings, lovely people! I'm been scratching my head for more than a week, and just couldn't get it solved. I'm hoping I can have some help from the forum.

I'm rigging a dancing figure, I need the arms to be quite flexible, e.g. able to have the elbows go to both directions smoothly, so I assume the regular IK is not a good choice. I didn't use FK as it is quite a time-consuming way to animate. I got them set up using rubber hose style via Bezier IK like how it's shown in "DUIK QuickTip#05 Rubber Limb" from Rainbox Production channel on YTB). However, I found if I drag the "pole" of the elbow(aka Arm|Curve in Duik system) to a certain distance, it snaps to a knot. I've tried to rebuild the curve for more than half a dozen times, the problem is reproduced. I found the issue seems to be orientation-constraint on the elbow pin. If there's no orientation-constraint applied, no matter how to animate the arm curve, I won't have this issue, but if it's a rubber hose style, I do need that constraint to keep it a smooth bezier curve.

I'm on AE2018/Duik v16.2.7

I appreciate any help in advance.
Last edited by hiroober on Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

hiroober

Re: Bezier IK

Post by hiroober » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:17 am

Here's the project file.
https://gofile.io/?c=ap15P3

Duduf

Re: Bezier IK using in rubberhose style rigging creates a knot

Post by Duduf » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:20 pm

Hi, I'll have a look at that, I think the orientation constraint has issues with the way Bézier IK are computed.

BUT, in the quicktip, it's a standard IK and it works well, do you really need a Bézier IK?

Also, thinking FK is more time consuming than IK is a big mistake, but you'll discover that by yourself when gaining experience ;)

hiroober

Post by hiroober » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:03 pm

Duduf wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:20 pm Hi, I'll have a look at that, I think the orientation constraint has issues with the way Bézier IK are computed.

BUT, in the quicktip, it's a standard IK and it works well, do you really need a Bézier IK?

Also, thinking FK is more time consuming than IK is a big mistake, but you'll discover that by yourself when gaining experience ;)
Thank you so much for your reply Duduf! Actually I tried FK, but found there're some movements that can be achieved neither IK nor FK. That's why I thought Bezier IK might be the solution. Here's an example, quite a simple movement of having an arm bending in front of the body then stretching upward.

I might have missed something here, but I simply couldn't get it done in FK/IK set-up. Bezier IK seems to be the solution as I could animate the Arm|Curve and the wrist ctrl to get to the position, but then I got stuck at the knot issue. :( I'd really appreciate it if anybody could direct me to the right direction.

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:18 am

I do not see why it would not be possible in FK?

And in IK you'd have to animate the "reverse" checkbox and probably the stretch value too.

I'll have a look at the orientation constrait to see how this unwanted rotation can be modified, but with an orientation constraint you necesasarily have a bump smewhere.
Maybe you could use the connector instead to automate the rotation of the elbow