This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

Scaling Rigs in Duik 16?

Rigging, animation, import/export of characters, props and cameras comprehensive tool set for After Effects.
drylightn

Scaling Rigs in Duik 16?

Post by drylightn » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:19 pm

Is it now possible to scale a rigged character with IK in Duik 16? I know it was a limitation in 15.
thanks!
Chad

Duduf

Re: Scaling Rigs in Duik 16?

Post by Duduf » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:55 am

Hi,

Theoratically, yes, but it may involve a few expressions (and unlocking the scale on the structures by removing the expression) depending on what tools were used to rig the structures.
Anyway, it would be easier than in Duik 15.

BUT, two things you need to know:

1- I'm still working on this, and still have hope than in future version you'll just have to scale the controllers

2- With the new "Extract Controllers" feature, you can already scale a rig:
- Add the rigged comp into another comp.
- Select the precomped layer and in the controllers panel of Duik, click on "Extract controllers"
You can then animate from outside of the precomp, with the extracted controllers, AND you can scale the precomped layer to scale the rig (the controllers will follow)
I think this is a good workaround, you just have to take care of the resolution as it's a precomp (and I think continuous rasterization won't work), scaling up will damage it a bit, but scaling down is ok

drylightn

Post by drylightn » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:35 pm

Yeah, main thing I was hoping to parent the root of the character to a master null and scale that up and down. But from what your saying (with the noted caveats) I can do that using the Extract Controllers? Also, I'm assuming pre-comping will slow down the rig futher as far as interactive speed goes?

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:25 pm

Yes, with this technique the precomp itself will act like the master controller.

I don't know if it has a signigicant impact on performance, I don't think so!