This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

Longer render time with Duik bassel?

Rigging, animation, import/export of characters, props and cameras comprehensive tool set for After Effects.
tao1022

Longer render time with Duik bassel?

Post by tao1022 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:22 am

No offense, just feel it takes longer time to render with the new duik bassel rigging system. Maybe it's because of the complexity of the expression?

Is there anyone has the same feel?

Thanks.

Duduf

Re: Longer render time with Duik bassel?

Post by Duduf » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:16 pm

Hi,

Do you mean longer than the previous version, Duik 15? Or longer than the same kind of render without rigging and IK?

Since Duik 15, the expressions have been globally improved to evaluate quicker in Bassel, so compared to previous version, Bassel should be a little bit faster.

That being said, Duik depends on the expression engine of After Effects for preformance, and the performance of the expressions used by Duik differ a lot depending on the tool. The IK and "standard" tool should be quick, but other tools a bit more advanced like the parent constraint, some simulated automiations (wheel, spring...) can be a lot slower...

tao1022

Post by tao1022 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:23 pm

Hi Duduf

Thanks for the reply. I cannot make 100% sure if it's the new bassel is slower, just want to ask someone to find the real reason.

The issue is this: I have an ad project making some characters' animation with duik 15 last year. Now the client needs an update version using the same characters with different actions and angles.

Since some scenes need another angle of the character, I modified a few characters and make the new rigging with bassel, using the new structure approach.

Then I restore the previous AE project and import the new rigging characters. Now, my project includes the old character rigging with duik 15 and the new rigging with bassel.

When I render this project after I've done the animation, I find even a simple scene, with only two characters and two pictures, without any particles and any huge image, it takes way more time to rend each frame. Also, I didn't use any automation feature in here.

I made a test, replace the characters with structure rigging to the old one, and render, the render speed is faster actually, so I think it might be due to the new structure rigging feature, cos it has more codes and needs more time to calculate?

Not sure, just want to discuss this with someone else. Overall, I really like bassel, it's fantastic!

Thanks
Tao

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:45 am

Ok now I understand better...

In my tests, Structures didn't seem to make the render process longer, as long as they are "baked" (and hidden), which the autorig button does by default.
I'm going to run some more tests.

Could you send me your aep so I can see what's going on exactly in your case?

tao1022

Post by tao1022 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:54 am

Duduf wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:45 am Ok now I understand better...

In my tests, Structures didn't seem to make the render process longer, as long as they are "baked" (and hidden), which the autorig button does by default.
I'm going to run some more tests.

Could you send me your aep so I can see what's going on exactly in your case?
Thanks Duduf, the project is in the computer of my office. Will send you through tomorrow, now I'm off from the office.

But I didn't check if I click the baked button, will check it out tomorrow as well.

Thanks so much!

Tao

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:58 am

Baked Structures can't be changed in size or color through the effect on the structure, it's a quick way to check if they have been baked ;)

tao1022

Post by tao1022 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:36 pm

Duduf wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:58 am Baked Structures can't be changed in size or color through the effect on the structure, it's a quick way to check if they have been baked ;)
Hi Duduf

I've found the real reason why the reader is so slow.....

I lay many pre-comps on the main comp and render the main comp, but I didn't trim some pre-comps, which means when the time on rendering the next pre-comp, the previous pre-comp is still on the bottom of the current pre-comp, although it doesn't show up on the screen.......

I didn't know it influences the render, but my colleague suggested me to trim the precomp and after I've done that, the speed is really faster than before....

Thanks anyway, at least now I know it's not duik's fault, haha.

Cheers
Tao

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:08 am

Oh I see !
Thanks for your feedback, glad you fixed your issue ;)

toto

Post by toto » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:11 pm

Hi,
I thought since my issue is the same I thought i write in the same thread even though op had found his problem.

Since I started using the new duik, I found that rendering and preview is much much slower than rigging a character with the previous version of duik. I have characters rigged with both versions and the bassel ones feel sluggish in comparison. even a hand to elbow ik rig is unbearably heavy. Is there something i can do to fix that ?

Thanks

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:45 pm

There should not be such difference, this is odd.

What is your version of After Effects, OS, and also, what's your CPU and RAM ?