This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

Longer render time with Duik bassel?

Rigging, animation, import/export of characters, props and cameras comprehensive tool set for After Effects.
Duduf

Re: Longer render time with Duik bassel?

Post by Duduf » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:46 pm

If you can send me two example characters you've made with the two versions of Duik, this would help me check what's going on.

NateLikesTea

Post by NateLikesTea » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:44 pm

Hi, I figured I'd hop on board this discussion because I think it may be related to slow render times...

After updating to Duik 16 (awesome improvements btw) I've been experiencing After Effects taking up about 25% of my CPU while idling. I did a few quick tests-- I went to a new, empty scene, and the CPU dropped down to zero, then I when I open a file with just a Duik-rigged character (no animation, no other scene elements, just the rigged character), AE will chug at around 25% while idling. It will continue to do so for about 5-10 minutes, then will suddenly drop off back down to zero.

Then, once it's calmed down, if I grab a control and move it, it will jump back up to around 25% and chug for another 10 minutes...

I'm running AE CC 2018 (15.1.1), Duik 16.0.4, on a 64bit Windows 7 Pro, XEON E5-1607, 3.0GHz, 2GB nVIDIA Quadro 4000, 16BG RAM.

I can provide you the AE file if that would help... Thanks!

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:52 pm

Yes, please, the AEP which causes this issue could be very helpful if you can provide it!

NateLikesTea

Post by NateLikesTea » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:12 pm

Great! ... I was about to post a link here but it's my company's character... can you email me? nate.sam@gmail.com Since I'm such a new user to this forum it won't let me send you a private message...

toto

Post by toto » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:12 am

Hi Duduf,

Sorry for not replying sooner - was chasing deadlines. My rigs are part of a NDAd project, but i can supply them to you personally. So let me know how I can do that.

To answer your previous question - I am running AE 15 , Win 10 build 17134 , 16gb ram and a 7700k.

Kind regards,

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:37 am

Hi toto!

Just send them to duduf@rainboxprod.coop please!

I'll check these issues next week and let you know what I find. We'll release an update with some other fixes in a few days, if I can do anything about performance, I'll include it in the update.

Thanks

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:48 pm

Ok, I'm reviewing the files you sent me, I've started with yours Nate,
NateLikesTea wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:12 pm Great! ... I was about to post a link here but it's my company's character... can you email me? nate.sam@gmail.com Since I'm such a new user to this forum it won't let me send you a private message...
I don't find any particular performance issue with your file.

The CPU working when idling is actually After Effects rendering the composition in background, to update the RAM preview and cache it ; every time you move a controller, After Effects has to restart this background rendering process, which can be a bit long in your case as the composition is very long.
This is a low-priority task and should not impact performance.

Duik Bassel makes more use of expressions than Duik15, this can explain why this is more noticeable now.

Anyway, there are a few tips to improve performance in this case (I do see a small difference after doing this, it's worth it):

(these options are only available in standard or expert modes)

- You can "bake" the controller appearance
- You can set the controller layers to Draft mode. And if you wish, you can tell Duik to do this by default, in the same "Edit" controllers panel than the "bake appearance" tool.

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:28 pm

toto wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:12 am Sorry for not replying sooner - was chasing deadlines. My rigs are part of a NDAd project, but i can supply them to you personally. So let me know how I can do that.
So, same for you:

I've compared the two files you sent me, and the one rigged with Duik Bassel is indeed a bit heavier, but not much. I think this is not only due to the new Structures, but the fact that this rig is more complex than the one in Duik 15: you have more controllers, and a Bezier IK for the spine, stuff like that.

Using Duik Bassel, and the autorig, you could make simpler stuff as you did with Duik 15: if you use only one structure element for the spine instead of two or three for example, this would be rigged with a standard IK which is lighter ; You can also just rig each limb individually like if you were adding simple IK in Duik 15, the autorig in this case would work exactly the same way as the "IK" button in Duik 15.

You can use the same tips I've mentionned in my previous post concerning the controllers, and a couple more I forgot:

- If you disable the "Draw guides" options in the IK effects (the dashed lines), performance will be a bit better
- You can also set Duik to use null layers instead of shape layers as controllers, in the "edit" panel of the controllers; as you did in Duik 15.