This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

Urgent: "unexpected match name" error and all pin expressions broken, CC2018

Rigging, animation, import/export of characters, props and cameras comprehensive tool set for After Effects.
timdrage

Urgent: "unexpected match name" error and all pin expressions broken, CC2018

Post by timdrage » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:51 am

Was happily working on a project when suddenly alll my expressions for puppet tool bones are broken. I get this error when I open any comp containing Duik bones:
after effects error:internal verification failure, sorry! {unexpected match name searched for in group} ( 29 :: 0 )

This happened without me actually changing anything in the effected comps, I was working on non-duik stuff in other comps at the time of the first error.

Duik documentation only mentions this issue in the context of it being fixed in CC2014 but I'm on CC2018 with the latest Duik Bassel installed.

Have tried trashing preferences, clearing all caches etc, reinstalling duik script, reinstalling AE.

All I was using was puppet pins made into bones, animated by parenting them together and keyframe animating the rotation; no actual Duik IK rigging stuff all.

Please help, this has totally broken a very urgent project!!
Last edited by timdrage on Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.

timdrage

Re: Urgent: "unexpected match name" error and all pin expressions broken, CC2018

Post by timdrage » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:55 am

even this forum is broken

trying again with the image attachments:
Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 11.29.21.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 12.50.51.png

Duduf

Re: Urgent: "unexpected match name" error and all pin expressions broken, CC2018

Post by Duduf » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:58 pm

This is very strange, I've never seen the first error message in versions of Ae other than CC2014.

The second one is about the expression used in the color of the bones and even if this is broken, the bones should still work. There's something very unusual going on.

Can you have a look at the expressions in the puppet pin properties and give me the errors there are if any?

Or can you send me your aep so I can have a look directly?

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:12 pm

thanks for the quick reply,

OK now it gets weirder!! not sure what I did but now when I open the project the pins still don't work, but there are no error messages or broken expressions! the bone layers animate but the pin expressions have no errors at all but just stay still.

if i make a new comp, put puppet tool on a layer and add bones this new rig works fine, but the old broken ones are still broken.

I will PM you a link to a project download now, thanks

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:15 pm

Hum I think this is a bug with the new puppet tool engine. You can try to disable and re-enable the puppet effect, or switch to the legacy engine and back to the new, this may fix the issue

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:34 pm

Ah right, tried that but it doesn't seem to change anything, still doesn't work on legacy mode either

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:37 pm

I got your AEP and this is what I found:

on the layers with the puppet effect,
bones.PNG
For some reason, the bones were unlinked... To fix this, you'd have to link them again using this drodpdown.
I don't know how this happened, maybe if you copied and pasted the layers from one comp to another, stuff like that could break the link.

timdrage

Post by timdrage » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:00 pm

thanks, ahh that's strange. I can see that could happen if it were copied and pasted, i've had it loose layer info like that before, but I'm pretty sure I didn't do so. Several of my comps broke all at once without be doing anything to them so it must be some bug.

Reconnecting them this way works thanks, tho it'll be very laborious :(

Managed to rescue some shots from a saved older version too