This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

Suggestion: Bone set presets?

Rigging, animation, import/export of characters, props and cameras comprehensive tool set for After Effects.
karip

Suggestion: Bone set presets?

Post by karip » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:52 am

Hi,

I've been working quite a lot with duik and I always do the same set over and over again: set puppet pins, name them, add bones, add structure, reposition the structure over the bones and create auto rig.

And after repeating this many times, I caught myself thinking about a simpler workflow from a user perspective.

So, is this following workflow a possibility?

1.I have a art layer, f.ex Hand_R.

2.In Duik, under Arm Structure, I would have previously set presets, in this case "Hand_R".

3.I press that - Duik would create a structure. (In this case: arm, forearm and hand).

4.I would then position that over the artwork, into correct positions (so that shoulder, elbow and wrist positions are positioned correctly for the next stage where puppet pins are placed.)

5.I would press apply, and Duik would set puppet pins and name them by the preset (f.ex Wrist_R, elbow_R, shoulder_R).

I don't know if it's possible to make AE to set the pins and rename them this way. But this way I would always have all my rigs with the same logic and it would speed up the rigging a bit.

If the preset idea is too heavy, could it be possible just to use structure positions to set puppet pins (and add bones at the same time)?

(I haven't considered this from a FK rig perpective, I seem to be using puppet pin-IK combination all the time. I also don't know kind of logic you have to have in order to drive AE. So if all this is silly, let me know)

Duduf

Re: Suggestion: Bone set presets?

Post by Duduf » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:01 pm

Hi,

This is a good suggestion, and we've tried to find a way to do this kind of things for a long time actually ;)
The problem is that there are currently no official way to add puppet pins with a script in After Effects. It's too early to talk about this but we may have found a way to do this in a future update, but nothing sure for now...
This being said, in the next version of Duik, this process will be a bit quickier as it will be possible to create structures directly from existing puppet pins, without using intermediary bones, you'll just have to select the pins and then create the structures, everything will be linked automatically.

karip

Post by karip » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:45 pm

I was thinking you must've thought about similar idea already :)

And thanks for the info, I already like that automationidea.
Thank you for your work!

tao1022

Post by tao1022 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:29 pm

Actually I have a similar question. Could we have a structure preset feature? like sometimes, I want to create a structure with the legs without toes or the arms without figures, or body without shoulders.

It would be great if we can have a preset feature making different presets. Like preset called ' simple human' with the structures without figures or toes. Then when I choose this preset and create a whole structure system, it doesn't create the structures I don't want.

Thanks

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:36 pm

Hi!

This is a good idea, and something I wanted to do but... Forgot ;) I'm adding it in the todo list, and I'll implement this in a future update. It's quite easy to do, so it should be available soon!