This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

Stuck in the autorig - Same layer error

Therkiller

Stuck in the autorig - Same layer error

Post by Therkiller » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:23 pm

Hi There,

I was really troubling trying to make a character rig with DUIK. Basicly because i didnt take enough time or i couldnt find a good tutorial wich covers a fullbasic human rig. Now i tried it again today but i couldnt get past the autorig when i tried to apply the Pelvis and head. When i applied these 2 and pushed Next >| it says i cant apply the same layer twice. But i havent done that. So i am stuck at this point. It is really confusing. I have done the rig a several time just to make sure i didnt make a mistake. And i am 100% i didnt place any layers in the settings twice. Any idea what is going on? :?:

Here is the step i get stuck on:

Image :?:

Therkiller

Re: Stuck in the autorig - Same layer error

Post by Therkiller » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:53 pm

Ello.....?

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:03 pm

Hi,

I think the problem is with the selection of the layers of the spine or the neck. To correctly rig the spine, Duik gets all the layers between the first and the last layers, using their indexes in the timeline panel.
I think the layers of the spine in your character are not together, and there should be other layers in between, which get selected by Duik although they're already used in some other part of the rig.

Before using the autorig, group all the layers of the spine, the neck and the tail together, then run the autorig. You'll be able to rearrange them once the autorig has finished working.

bronwenalexina

Post by bronwenalexina » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:20 am

I'm having the exact same problem, and creating groups is not resolving it. :(

bronwenalexina

Post by bronwenalexina » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:25 am

It seems like a bug, honestly. All attempts to find a solution are fruitless and resolve in either the same error prompt, or the interface doing nothing when I press 'next' or 'ok' (the button animates, then nothing happens).

Black Winter

Post by Black Winter » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:38 pm

I had that problem too, but managed to find some workaround by trial and error. Maybe there is a better way :) For me, the Autorig works best when I use it for separate limbs - spine, arms, and legs, and then finish connecting and tweaking them manually.
The spine is tricky indeed. When rigging a torso, I normally use 2 pins on the shoulders, 2 pins on the hips, and a spine consisting of 5 pins:
1) Head - where it connects to the neck
2) Neck - where it connects to the shoulders, between 2 shoulder pins
3) Chest
4) Waist
5) Pelvis (between hips)
The Autorig works without errors in this case. Here is the link to a character image, sorry I do not know how to upload it properly. Hope it helps a little.
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AgrnkIdxV7BmggrYcSen8WxAVwcw]

benobeone

Post by benobeone » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:44 am

I have encountered this a few times but it always goes away if the layers are in the correct order in the timeline.
so make sure they are like this:

head
neck
Chest
spine
Hips

This issue tends to occur if it is something lkike this

Head
Chest
Neck
Spine
Hips

Ect. if you need the neck or head behind the body move it after setup.

cudak888

Post by cudak888 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:42 pm

Sorry to bump this up - but I ran into the same problem, and may have found something that - if anything - may give some insight into the error itself.

Mind you, I haven't attempted to re-order the objects either, but I was more concerned with being able to repeat the errors to report this before trying workarounds.

The initial error notes that three layers are assigned twice - the upper and lower neck (each their own pin/node) and the pelvis, as follows:
Layers assigned twice

15 - Neck - Upper
16 - Neck - Lower
14 - Pelvis
This error comes up trying to proceed after the Spine Autorig menu.

Now, if I remove the links to the neck only (both "from" and "to" for the neck become "none"), the error changes to:
Layers assigned twice

14 - Pelvis
Now, if I deselect the pelvis, I can proceed to the next menu, "Tail Autorig," where, unsurprisingly, the "hips, pelvis, abdomen" is assigned to the Pelvis node on that menu.

However, I can also go back to the Spine Autorig menu, and deselect the Neck and Spine/Torso/Chest/Thorax nodes without deselecting the pelvis, and be able to proceed forward to the Tail Autorig with no error.

For whatever reason, this combination (which still leaves the pelvis linked twice) doesn't present an issue.

Thought I'd chime in with this; maybe it'll be of assistance (I hope). I'm no coder, but it sounds like the parts association for each drop down may be incorrect. At any rate, I'm going to reorder my parts now and try it again.

EDIT: FYI: Reordering the parts did the trick.

-Kurt

MerlinL

Post by MerlinL » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:16 pm

Thanks Cudak! That worked perfectly.