This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

[RC2] Your feedback (update 07/01/2018)

Morganimator

Re: [Alpha] Download and test Duik now!

Post by Morganimator » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:31 pm

Possible bug...? Or issue with Ae17?
I'm trying to use the Connector on one of my school's computers that's running Ae2017.
It works for properties like rotation, etc. But it's not working for shape or mask path properties. Is this only supposed to work with Ae2018? The Morpher in v15 worked with shapes and masks...
I'm going to try it later at home with Ae2018 and see if it works there...

Thanks!

Morganimator

Post by Morganimator » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:06 pm

OK, I think I've answered some of my own questions... :roll:

I noticed that in the thread for the "Connector", you mention that it doesn't work for shape/path properties. This is a bit of a shame, since the old Morpher did, but am I right to assume that the idea is to use the "Bones" that with CC2018 we can add to the vertexes and beziers of shape and mask paths to create animated paths and then use the Connector to tie those to a controller? I can see how that would work just fine. How about things like a Mesh Warp? Is it possible to add "bones" to the vertexes of the Mesh Warp? (I can't test it here at school) I use the Mesh Warp quite a bit...

Thanks!! :)

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:42 pm

Hum... A shape (or mask) can't be used as a "Master property" with the connector, but should be able to be used as a "child property", just as with the old morpher in 15.

Actually I've just tested again and it works here.

About bones: they can be used on any shape property, and on any spatial property (puppet pins, points of a bezier warp) but unfortunately not with the mesh warp. I've talked about this to the AE team, and it's an old effect which can't be scripted :(

BUT what's awesome with CC2018 is that now you can rig shapes, using the reshape effect is very, very powerful!
Try this : add a mask on a layer, duplicate it, add the reshape effect.
Set the two masks in the effect, and set it to 100%
Now move the second mask ;) and imagine what you can do by rigging this mask using bones and Duik!

I'm going to post a new Alpha test this weekend end with all those fixes and others, and with the autorig implemented too ;)

Morganimator

Post by Morganimator » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:11 pm

Hmmm... I just tested it here at home with both CC17 and CC18 and neither worked on a shape layer or mask path. :?
Again, it works fine for other properties, so I'm pretty sure I'm using it correctly. Here's a GIF of it not working in CC18. Am I doing something wrong?
gif4duduf.gif
Maybe the newer version you post will work...?

Thanks for the time on the "Reshape", I'm going to try that for sure!

Morganimator

Post by Morganimator » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:00 pm

Sorry to be bringing up more issues, but I'm getting an expression error whenever I add "bones" to a shape layer or mask path:
Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 12.59.28 PM.png
:(

I wonder if the two problems are related...? Since both the connector and the bones are having trouble with paths...?

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:30 pm

Don't be sorry to bring up issues, it's the goal of these testing versions ;)

About the connector, I did some improvements/fixes since the version you're using in the screen capture, and I think it should work now.

About the bones, there was an issue like this in older versions but now it should work in the 5th Alpha; what version are you using in this case? if it's the latest it means there's another bug I have to fix!

Morganimator

Post by Morganimator » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:05 pm

I'm using the version from the link at the top of this thread:

Duik16_0.1-Alpha.jsx

Is the v5 Alpha available to download somewhere? Maybe I missed it...

Thank you!

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:37 pm

Oh. I forgot to update this topic, but I've just posted it in the "announcement" topic of the forum: http://forum.rainboxprod.coop/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=278

Sorry !
;)

Morganimator

Re: [Alpha5] Your feedback (update 02/18/2018)

Post by Morganimator » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:13 pm

Thank you! :D

I'll try those tools out at home later today.

Morganimator

Re: [Alpha5] Your feedback (update 02/18/2018)

Post by Morganimator » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:23 pm

Yay! Everything's working now with Alpha 5. :D

Also, I tried your suggestions of the "reshape" with the "bones" on mask paths - you're right, so powerful!! :shock: I'm super excited to play with that some more...

One very small question, I notice that if I "connect" something to a slider expression control, it actually disables (greys out) the slider itself, although of course you can still "slide" the numbers. Is that a necessary side effect of the expression on the slider property? It's no big deal, but is there is a way to keep the slider functioning? I'm used to actually using the sliders themselves when animating... But if this isn't possible it's a very small price to pay for how amazing this new "Connector" is! Overall, it's fantastic! So many possibilities...

I'm going to go play some more... ;)