This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

Skirt rigging

Rigging, animation, import/export of characters, props and cameras comprehensive tool set for After Effects.
gregowich

Skirt rigging

Post by gregowich » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:43 pm

Hi, I am rigging this character for an animation, and as you can see the skirt is a problem. I've tried having puppet pins/bones on the 2 edges of the skirt and parent them to the thigh and calf structures, but because in the walk cycle the legs are crossing each other, the skirt gets jumbled up (this idea worked on the upper body robe, as arms are not crossing). Has any of you ever done a rig with a skirt? what can I do to keep the skirt moving with the legs?

Duduf

Re: Skirt rigging

Post by Duduf » Thu May 14, 2020 8:08 am

Hi,

Sorry to reply so late.

I think the easiest way to rig and animate cloth like that is to add a few puppet pins on each sides, and add two vertical tail structures (or three with one in the middle), one for each side. Auto-rig this, and you'll get an FK controller to animate them easily, and parent the root of these structures to the hips so that they get the root motion and they should move in a natural way.
But you won't avoid the fact that you'll need to add a few keyframes to animate them manually

gregowich

Post by gregowich » Thu May 21, 2020 2:13 am

Thanks for the reply. So this opened another can of worms: I've rigged the character in a comp and extracted the controllers into another comp. I did all the animation of the character in this comp, but to animate the skirt I need to go back to the 1st comp, but this comp doesn't have the controllers with the keyframes now. (Somehow there are still controllers in here, just not the keyframes). So I can't see the animation timings to animate the skirt accordingly.

Is there a way to move the controllers back to the 1st comp with all the keyframes intact? Or another way I can sort this out?

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Sat May 23, 2020 5:38 pm

I think you should be able to copy/paste all the keyframes at once using the copy/paste animation in Duik (https://duik-docs.rainboxlab.org/copy-p ... ation.html)

But I think I'd do it the other way: clicking again on extract controllers will add the controllers of the skirt in the comp where you have animated, that should be better ;)