This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

Is there a way to have "Auto-Stretch" turned off by default?

Rigging, animation, import/export of characters, props and cameras comprehensive tool set for After Effects.
Drake

Is there a way to have "Auto-Stretch" turned off by default?

Post by Drake » Fri May 22, 2020 4:31 pm

The animation I am doing is with more realistic puppets, so, having their arms and legs stretch off their joints is... well... not right.

Currently, every time I rig a puppet the first thing I do after Auto-Rigging the structures is to go into each controller and uncheck the "Auto-Stretch" box so the limbs stay connected. Not a huge deal, just a waste of time if I could have this option not turn on automatically when I Auto-Rig the puppets to begin with.

Is this possible? To have this "Auto-Stretch" checkbox disabled automatically?

Any help would be appreciated.

Duduf

Re: Is there a way to have "Auto-Stretch" turned off by default?

Post by Duduf » Sat May 23, 2020 5:42 pm

No(t yet)

It's a feature which would be nice, even for all other tools (being able to change all default values) but it's too much development compared to the benefit of the feature, so it's never been developed in favor of other new features more "important".

That said, limbs stretching should not be an issue when animating a realisitic character, as an animator should never pull the IK to make the limb stretch ; in general, IK should never be straight but always bent a little. This autostretch option is not really useful actually, it's just there to show to users that limbs can be stretched. But they should be stretched by the manual stretch values, not by pulling on the IK