This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

DUIK 16: Pre-composition Error when extracting controllers

General help and tips
RabathoLaka

DUIK 16: Pre-composition Error when extracting controllers

Post by RabathoLaka » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:15 pm

Hi Guys,

It is my first time posting here on the forum. Good to be here and I am loving Duik so far.

I am encountering a problem with my character rig that I am using for a scene.

I rigged the character and pre-composed it so that I could add it to the environment scene.

I then extracted the controllers on the pre-comp and everything was working fine. The characters bones were responsive and I scaled the pre-comp down but never larger than the size that I set it as.

After animating for a while, I got 4 error messages on After Effects telling me that:

"After Effects warning: Expression disabled. Error at line 1 in property 'Goal position' of layer 80 ('C | Foot') in comp 'Once_Upon_A_Time_In_Yeoville - New Comp'. layer named 'FootRoll | Foot 2' is missing or does not exist. It may have been renamed, moved, or deleted, or the name may have been mistyped."

When checking the source of these layers, I found that they do exist in the pre-comp and the rig works perfectly in there but outside of the precomp, the controllers for my characters "Hand", "Hand 2" and "Foot", "Foot 2' structures where not responsive anymore.

I then tried relinking the expressions parent to the precomp from thisComp.layer("FootRoll | Foot 2").effect("IK | Foot")(36) to comp(“McGuyver - Character Only_Fixed_V5_Rerig_Proper”).layer(“FootRoll | Foot 2”).effect(“IK | Foot”)(36) which did not work at all.

What can I do to resolve the matter? and what have I done wrong?

I would greatly appreciate any assistance on the matter.

Thanks

Duduf

Re: DUIK 16: Pre-composition Error when extracting controllers

Post by Duduf » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:20 pm

Hi!

There is an issue in the current version of Duik generating this expression error, but it should not prevent you from animating, you should be able to continue to animate and just ignore the errors...

Anyway, this has just been fixed and the fix will be available with the update of Duik which will be out this wednesday.
You'll have to create a new comp and re-extract the controllers with the new version of Duik (I hope you have kept the composition with the rig as it was before you extracted the controllers, don't forget to always keep the rig in a separate project before you start animating)
And then, if you have already made some animation, you´ll be able to copy and paste the existing animation from the broken comp to the new one.