This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

Wing animation through slider control

Rigging, animation, import/export of characters, props and cameras comprehensive tool set for After Effects.
Fogfocus

Wing animation through slider control

Post by Fogfocus » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:09 am

I have rigged a fly and I have folded wings that don’t need to move separate from the rest of the rig. I also have four keyframes of wings in another position that combine to appear to be rapidly flapping. All of these art layers use multiply and transparency so creating pre-comps ruins the desired translucence. Finally, my question, is there a way to use a two position slider control that, in one position would show the static folded wings and a second position that would show constant animation of the flapping wings?
I understand the slider control concept but don’t know how to make the flying wing position automatically animate when position 2 is chosen. I’ve experimented with countless combinations to no avail. I hit a wall. Advice is appreciated.

Duduf

Re: Wing animation through slider control

Post by Duduf » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:01 am

Hi,

This is what I would do:

- make the animation of the wings, loop all animated properties with an expression

Code: Select all

loopOut()
or the Looper in the automations of Duik.

- add an expression control/checkbox in the effects of a controller somewhere, name it something like "Fly little fly!"

- in the opacity if the layers used for the animated wings, add this expression:

thisComp.layer("Controller Layer Name").effect("Fly little fly!)(1).value * 100
As the checkbox is a 0/1 value, multiplied by 100 it activates or not the opacity.

- in the opacity of the static wings, this expression:

100 - thisComp.layer("Controller Layer Name").effect("Fly little fly!)(1).value * 100

Fogfocus

Re: Wing animation through slider control

Post by Fogfocus » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:09 am

Thanks Duduf. The fly flies.