This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

2D Slider - selecting a master property - SLOW/Takes AGES

Rigging, animation, import/export of characters, props and cameras comprehensive tool set for After Effects.
bradlero

2D Slider - selecting a master property - SLOW/Takes AGES

Post by bradlero » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:47 pm

Hey everyone,

I tried to search this before hand as best I could through google and on the forum here using the search feature, but I could not find the exact issue I am having.

When I've created a 2D Slider controller for use with facial animation rigs - EYES, Head movement etc - it seems to take FOREVER (like sometimes 5 minutes or more) for DUIK to select the controller after clicking the controller layer in the timeline panel and then clicking on "select master property" button in DUIK UI. This operation should take mere seconds, and it did when I originally started using DUIK a few years ago on older versions of AE and DUIK itself. However after a while it started taking minutes to make this happen.... And this has happened on all versions of DUIK I have tried with AE from 2017-2020 (2020 and Bassel.2 I just installed today and its actually the slowest yet)

Something must be going on in my file system somewhere to make this operation of selecting the controller and clicking on "select master property" in the DUIK UI take minutes to complete, when I know it should be a simple click of a button.

Has anyone else experienced this massive delay?

Thanks for any help guys!

Duduf

Re: 2D Slider - selecting a master property - SLOW/Takes AGES

Post by Duduf » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:46 pm

I think it's a bug in Duik, I'll check and fix this very soon.
It may be because on some changes about how Duik checks for default values and velocity of the layer. So in the meantime, maybe if you make the composition shorter it will improve performance (if you can).

This is in my priorities, sorry!

bradlero

Post by bradlero » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:17 pm

Hey Duduf,

Thanks so much for replying!

Okay sounds good. Yeah I should have mentioned that the compositions that this is happening in are all about 60 minutes in length... SO yeah I'll see if I can set this up another way that doesn't require such long comps. I had originally done this to be on the safe side for animating the characters incase I needed more time in the timeline for each rig but I guess I can use the new master property controller extraction method in latest DUIK and AE 2020.

Anyway, please let me know if you manage to correct this bug anyhow!

Thanks again Duduf!

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:06 pm

Good news, it's fixed!

The connector now just takes the values from the actual keyframes instead of sampling the whole composition. It may be less precise in a few cases, but most of the time the user won't see any difference, and it's now real fast.

Will be in the next update, in a few days ;)