This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

AE 2020 and master properties

Rigging, animation, import/export of characters, props and cameras comprehensive tool set for After Effects.
NooberThanU

AE 2020 and master properties

Post by NooberThanU » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:57 pm

I hope this is not a silly question:
I've read and watched as much as I could find about DUIK and the improvements in master properties in AE 2020. It seems like a big deal.
But what I don't understand is: Does this mean a new rigging workflow is needed OR is the "big deal" about improved performance that is "under the hood" and transparent to the end user?
I gather that an important part of this is extracting controllers. Do we no longer use the extract button and instead use master properties?
You can probably tell that I'm confused.
I know these changes are very recent so there may not have been time to create any tutorials or documentation.
In the meantime, can there be a brief summary about what we should do differently when working on rigs than we did in AE 2019 and DUIK 1.1?
Thanks so much and thank you specifically to Duduf for all the hard work!

Duduf

Re: AE 2020 and master properties

Post by Duduf » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:00 pm

Hi!

It does not change much the workflow, maybe I wasn't clear in my explanations:
With Ae 2020 when you use the extract button, it will automatically choose to extract controllers using master properties instead of expressions as before.

What's interesting with this is that you can do this multiple times, with as many instances of the character precomp as you wish!
Inside the precomp, the character will still be in its rigging pose, without animation, so you can also easily make changes to the rig, which will be updated in all instances and their correpsonding animations!

NooberThanU

Post by NooberThanU » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:48 pm

Thank you for the response, sir!
I'm glad to have that cleared up and once again I am very grateful for your hard work and generosity!

fluidmotion

Post by fluidmotion » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:14 am

Duduf wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:00 pm Hi!

It does not change much the workflow, maybe I wasn't clear in my explanations:
With Ae 2020 when you use the extract button, it will automatically choose to extract controllers using master properties instead of expressions as before.

What's interesting with this is that you can do this multiple times, with as many instances of the character precomp as you wish!
Inside the precomp, the character will still be in its rigging pose, without animation, so you can also easily make changes to the rig, which will be updated in all instances and their correpsonding animations!
I love the new workflow, but for example I used my rig in 3 different comps and I decided that I dont need one of them anymore. When I delete the master comp I dont need, my rig got broken. Is it logical? How to remove unwanted comps to keep your project cleaner? Thank you.

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:35 am

This is not normal...
I'm posting a bug report there to investigate:

https://github.com/Rainbox-dev/DuAEF_Duik/issues/589

Can you post an aep there so I can have a look? Thanks!