This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

Extract Controllers does not work with 2D sliders

Rigging, animation, import/export of characters, props and cameras comprehensive tool set for After Effects.
Rsoden

Extract Controllers does not work with 2D sliders

Post by Rsoden » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:04 pm

I have a character rig set up with a head turn and eyebrow controls using 2D sliders. I was excited to be able to use the extract controllers with master properties in AE 2020 but it doesn't seem to work with the 2D sliders. It works great on the rest of the rig, I am able to move the characters around no problem, but the 2D sliders just don't seem to be connected to anything. They show up after you extract the controllers but they don't do anything.

Just tried it with a different head turn rig it has 4 different 2d sliders ( head turn [side to side and up and down], eye brows, pupils, and eye lids), on this character 3 of the 2d sliders do nothing and the 4th 2d slider is controlling all of the properties of the others, making it useless.

Any ideas on how to get this to work?

Thanks

Rsoden

Re: Extract Controllers does not work with 2D sliders

Post by Rsoden » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:04 pm

After playing around with this more. I was able to get my rigs to work but it is a pain!

I tired some other rigs too. Instead of the simple head turn rigs I was trying, I tried some full body walking rigs too and they don't work either.
When you extract controllers all of the master properties get pointed to a single controller. So instead of getting pointed to their own controller they all get pointed to the same controller.

In the first rig I tried all of the 2D sliders got pointed to the Hand controller!
Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 8.40.23 AM.png
In the second rig they all got pointed to my Eye Lids - 2D Slider controller.
Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 8.36.32 AM.png
This is from a full body rig you can see the Body, Hips, and Spine all get pointed to the C | Hand 2 controller.
Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 9.00.42 AM.png

I can make the rigs work by manually going in a changing all of the incorrect controllers to the correct controller in the expressions on the master properties. But like I said this is a pain. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:24 pm

This is definitely a bug!

Just tell me, what version of Duik are you using?
And the rigs you're trying to extract, were they made with the latest version or an older one?

Rsoden

Post by Rsoden » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:43 pm

The rigs were made in Adobe CC2018 using Duik 16.04

I updated to Adobe CC2020 and Duik 16.2.2

Thanks

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:05 pm

Ok so I'm pretty sure that's the issue.
I do have to take a look at how the layers are linked and I can try to fix this in a future version, but nothing's sure.
It should work properly with rigs built and extracted with the new version.

Rsoden

Post by Rsoden » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:14 pm

Ok Thanks.

The good news is after I corrected the controllers in the master properties, I am able to make copies of the rig with the extracted controllers and place those in my shots. So I only have to correct them once. This should still speed up my work flow, even if I have to hand edit all the master properties.

I have been animating with one shot per project and re-importing each rig and background each time I need them. Being able to animate all of my shots in one project is a game changer.

Thanks for adding this feature - and thanks for making DUIK in the first place !