This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

Rig not connecting to bones/puppet pins

Rigging, animation, import/export of characters, props and cameras comprehensive tool set for After Effects.
duncancatterall

Rig not connecting to bones/puppet pins

Post by duncancatterall » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:31 pm

I'm having an issue with rigging from puppet pins, which I've done plenty of times before. I am using DUIK (16.2.8)

My usual process:
-Puppet tool set to legacy
-Pins renamed appropriately
-Bones created which do link properly to the pins when tested

Then I the following, at which point there must be some kind of issue:
-spine, arms, legs etc created - appear to allign correctly to the bones. This is actually a non-work rig. I've not seen my son for a month because of lockdown/self isolation so I'm animating his drawing of an alient, which has a five legs, hense not using a human IK.
-I then hit auto-rig - controls etc where I'd expect them but on moving any controller the skelton is as if it is no longer connected to the bones - essentially making this otherwise quite elabour skeleton redundant.

Again, bones connect up fine to start with, animation just using the pins on their own works too but would great to get this working as when it does work is beautiful. Any thoughts?

Using After Effects 17.0.2 (Build 26) on PC

Duduf

Re: Rig not connecting to bones/puppet pins

Post by Duduf » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:14 pm

Hi,

It should work.

Just to be sure I understood, your process is the regular: Add pins, add bones on the pins, add Structures, parent bones to Structures, Auto-rig? (more or less) ?

If so, I'd be happy to have a look at your project file to try to see what's wrong

duncancatterall

Re: Rig not connecting to bones/puppet pins

Post by duncancatterall » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:37 pm

Ah I'm being a muppet, parenting bones to structure step missed. All good thank you!