This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

Error when adding bones to a path and going 3D

Rigging, animation, import/export of characters, props and cameras comprehensive tool set for After Effects.
panjin

Error when adding bones to a path and going 3D

Post by panjin » Thu May 28, 2020 11:22 pm

I am sorry if this was answered, impossible to use the search fonction as these words are "too common" to be searched, no idea how to use search then :?

When I just draw a Shape, select it, add bones I can move the 2 points of the shape, but as soon as I put the shape layer in 3D I get the error
"Error : argument 1 to createPath () must be 2 numbers" .. coulnd´t find anything in the doc any help would be really good as my path has to be in 3D.

thanks!

AE CC2020 version.

Duduf

Re: Error when adding bones to a path and going 3D

Post by Duduf » Sat May 30, 2020 4:48 pm

Hi!

Sorry for the search not working, it's due to the forum software and I don't know how to adjust that ;)

Bones+shapes are not meant to be used in 3D, as Bézier path can only be 2D in After Effects.
If you need the shape layer to be 3D, you could precompose it, use the bones, and turn the precomp containing both the shape and the bones into a 3D Layer.

what are you trying to achieve exactly ?

panjin

Post by panjin » Sat May 30, 2020 10:03 pm

Thank you Duduf for your explanation, the shape is a simple line that is connecting two 3D objects, very basic, each bone of this line is parented to one of the 3D object, when the camera moves the line must follow the objects and grow. If I precompose I will lose the parenting.

I could use a third party plugin like plexus but duik can with the bones very nicely move a shape. But I need a camera for the whole scene with my 3D objects and lines between the objects.

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Sun May 31, 2020 10:50 am

In this case, I think the "parent across comps" tool may help.

Or without precomposing, I'd keep the shape layer 2D and link the stroke width to the distance with the cam, with an expression or the connector in Duik

panjin

Post by panjin » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:57 pm

"parent across comps" works! It´s not the best to control the shape size and form in the pre-comp but it-works! Thank you Duduf nice