This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

Tail looks wiggly when rigged

Rigging, animation, import/export of characters, props and cameras comprehensive tool set for After Effects.
Versiris

Tail looks wiggly when rigged

Post by Versiris » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:12 am

Why is this so jagged and wiggly looking when rigged? I tried this with less bones but it had sharp angles. I want a smooth curve. What's wrong here? :(

Duduf

Re: Tail looks wiggly when rigged

Post by Duduf » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:44 am

This is how the puppet tool works. It is often better to not use it at all, and instead use deformation effects, or rig the shapes if you're on CC2018, or devide the tail into several layers, and accept that it will look more like traditionnal cut-out animation...

But it's not impossible to get better results with the puppet tool, if that's what you want I strongly advise you to adjust your learning of animation in After Effects: first learn Ae native tools and expecially this puppet tool, try to understand and adjust how it works before trying to rig it with Duik. Duik will come after, as it's another layer of difficulties if you're new to this process.

https://github.com/Rainbox-dev/DuAEF_Du ... i-use-duik

Versiris

Post by Versiris » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:07 pm

Puppet tool with DUIK works fine in CS6. I just did a quick test. The problem arises when I try to do the same thing in CC 2018. Even with legacy puppet tool this doesn't work anymore. I just updated to CC 2018 and I admit I'm not familiar with the changes. So I guess you're saying there are different ways to do this now.

Versiris

Post by Versiris » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:22 pm

I solved the issue. Puppet pins do work fine with DUIK in CC 2018, for anyone else having this problem: you just need to make sure you use the "Legacy" Puppet Engine, not "Advanced." Make sure you switch to Legacy BEFORE you pin. My issue was that I was switching AFTER. If you switch after you pin then your pins will still be Advanced and it won't work. If you need to, delete your pins and start over with Legacy on.