This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

Connector for controlling phonemes for a mouth

Rigging, animation, import/export of characters, props and cameras comprehensive tool set for After Effects.
Palhil

Connector for controlling phonemes for a mouth

Post by Palhil » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:50 am

Hi

I've been playing around with DUIK Bassel, but I'm having a little problem trying to set up a mouth shape controller as shown in the example on this page...

https://github.com/Rainbox-dev/DuAEF_D ... /Connector

I can get the controller to work if I use a vertical stack of icons as my guide and the Y axis value of the controller. However, I can't work out how to use two columns of icons as shown in the example. If I try and add another connector to the same controller using the x axis then it seems to overwrite the previous opacity values set by my y axis connector.

I am using a small square solid layer as my visual controller with its Position as the Master Property.

Am I being stupid or is there something I am missing?

Thanks

Duduf

Re: Connector for controlling phonemes for a mouth

Post by Duduf » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:26 pm

There's a trick ;)

You have to sort the phonemes in precomps corresponding to columns. This way you can connect the X position to the opacity of the precomps, and the Y position to all the phonemes inside the precomps.

I'll make a tutorial about this ASAP :)

Palhil

Post by Palhil » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:08 pm

Thanks. I did wonder if it was something to do with pre-comps. I'll see if I can figure it out. :)

Palhil

Post by Palhil » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:47 pm

I worked it out! Or at least I found one way of doing it. Perhaps there is a better way.

I created two comps. One with my first column of shapes and their corresponding layers and the other with the second column and its corresponding layers.

In each comp I had a small solid layer or null to act as my controller. I used the Connector tool to create the y-axis control in each comp.

I then brought both of these comps into my main comp. Using another solid/null, I created a connector with an x-axis control between the two columns.

I then went back to my two pre-comps and used an expression on the position of my control layers and linked them both to the position of the controller in my main comp.

And that was it.

Thanks for the tip and also thanks for DUIK! It's great! :D

ulfstein

Post by ulfstein » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:42 am

HI,

I'm trying to figure this out as well though not just for the mouth but for all facial expressions. Do you by any chance have a copy of that particular project available so that we can take a look at how it's put together?

Many thanks.

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:44 pm

It's just a matter of connecting the position of a controller to the layers of the phonemes: select them and use the "connect to opacities" button.

I'm going to make some tutorials soon about all of this. In the meantime, the procedure is detailed in the user guide.

ulfstein

Post by ulfstein » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:01 am

Got it, thanks very much guys.

arso7

Post by arso7 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:24 pm

hey. sorry for asking , Duduf, where can i find the tutorials you talk about,

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:03 am

They're not finished yet, but will be available before christmas ;)