This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

Import/Duplicate rig

Rigging, animation, import/export of characters, props and cameras comprehensive tool set for After Effects.
benobeone

Import/Duplicate rig

Post by benobeone » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:57 pm

Hi Does 16 have a version of the import/duplicate rig that 15 used?

Duduf

Re: Import/Duplicate rig

Post by Duduf » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:08 pm

Duik Bassel has a new "Extract Controllers" tool which does the same kind of stuff than the "import rig" of Duik 15, but quicker and safer:

Once the rig is finished, you can place the rigged comp into another comp, select this precomp and use the extract controllers tool.

For duplication, you have two ways to do it: use the (free) script True Comp Duplicator OR if you're on CC2018, use the new master properties to extract the controllers as explained in the user guide.

I'm going to add this answer to the FAQ, thanks ;)

benobeone

Post by benobeone » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:18 pm

Great, thank you.

adven5

Post by adven5 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:38 am

Duduf wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:08 pm Duik Bassel has a new "Extract Controllers" tool which does the same kind of stuff than the "import rig" of Duik 15, but quicker and safer:

Once the rig is finished, you can place the rigged comp into another comp, select this precomp and use the extract controllers tool.

For duplication, you have two ways to do it: use the (free) script True Comp Duplicator OR if you're on CC2018, use the new master properties to extract the controllers as explained in the user guide.

I'm going to add this answer to the FAQ, thanks ;)
have been struggling to animate more than one character in the scene :cry:
so the duplicated rig precomp is placed into a new comp for animation. then i select the duplicated precomp and use the extract controllers tool
the controllers appear but i cannot animate the character from them :oops:
how should the controllers be extracted?

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:45 am

Why can't you animate the character with the extracted controllers? Do they just don't work?
It should work, each controller should control their counterparts in the precomposition and let you animate your character. The connection between them is made using some null objects called "locators" (not always, they may not be needed), and expressions. After having extracted the controllers, you can go inside the precomposition and check if there are expressions on all the properties of the controllers.

Also, make sure you do not have two compositions sharing the same name in your project, this can break expressions.

adven5

Post by adven5 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:18 am

Duduf wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:45 am Why can't you animate the character with the extracted controllers? Do they just don't work?
It should work, each controller should control their counterparts in the precomposition and let you animate your character. The connection between them is made using some null objects called "locators" (not always, they may not be needed), and expressions. After having extracted the controllers, you can go inside the precomposition and check if there are expressions on all the properties of the controllers.

Also, make sure you do not have two compositions sharing the same name in your project, this can break expressions.
Thank you so much for the instant reply!!
Can't animate the character with the extracted controllers though I very much want to...Have I messed up with the expressions? It shouldn't be the name problem as each comp has unique name. You will save my day if you can check my file below :(

Here is the animation comp:
Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 6.08.57 PM.png
Here is the rigged precomp:
Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 6.09.09 PM.png

adven5

Post by adven5 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:32 am

Here is the rigged pre-comp:
Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 6.09.09 PM.png

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:14 am

Hi,

Indeed, there's a bug somewhere; the expressions which should be in the rigged precomp are not there...

Would you mind sending me the aep as it is just before trying to extract the controllers so I can test it and see what's going on? I have an update of Duik which will be available in a few days with a lot of bug fixes, I could include this fix in it ;)

adven5

Post by adven5 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:53 am

Duduf wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:14 am Hi,

Indeed, there's a bug somewhere; the expressions which should be in the rigged precomp are not there...

Would you mind sending me the aep as it is just before trying to extract the controllers so I can test it and see what's going on? I have an update of Duik which will be available in a few days with a lot of bug fixes, I could include this fix in it ;)
So happy to get your reply:D
Have sent the project file to you via direct message
Thank you so much for the help!!!

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:20 pm

I've fixed the issue!

Will be available in an update which should be out tomorrow ;)