This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

Arm not swinging in automatic walk cycle

Rigging, animation, import/export of characters, props and cameras comprehensive tool set for After Effects.
Duduf

Re: Arm not swinging in automatic walk cycle

Post by Duduf » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:51 pm

Hi,

I don't see any reason there why it would not work.

You can:

- check in the effects of the hands controllers if there are expressions in the "Individual FK Controls" (or post here a screenshot of the expressions which are in these effects).
- check in the effect of the walk cycle controller if changing the values in the controls for the arms changes something or not.
- Try again in a new composition making sure you select all the controllers when you create the walk cycle, you may have forgotten the hands when creating it...

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:42 pm

The IK should be disabled (first checkbox in the effect) as the arm is animated in FK on the walk cycle.

Duik should have disabled it automatically when applying the walk cycle, if it did not this is a bug. Let me know if it was yout mistake or not so I can fix what needs to be fixed ;)

Liepe

Post by Liepe » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:53 am

I'm having this exact same problem with one of my characters. I've done a rig before on a different character and it worked perfectly, arms swing and everything. Now with my current one it doesn't work. I've done the same exact steps and have compared the two rigs just to see if there was a difference but I couldn't find anything. I'm honestly not sure how to fix this and it's driving me insane.

If anyone has a solution, please let me know.

Liepe

Post by Liepe » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:54 pm

Never mind. I've figured it out and honestly it's because of such a dumb thing and I hate that it is.

Basically, just have your character face the other direction and make a walk cycle facing that way. The hominoid structure automatically gets created facing the left side of the screen and when you try force it on a character that's walking towards the right, this problem appears. I don't know how to change the direction of the structure yet, or if there's actually a way, but that's the solutions I found. I hope this helps.

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:02 pm

Thanks for the feedback, I'll run some tests ASAP and let you know

Ekho

Post by Ekho » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:10 pm

Bonjour !

J'ai le meme problems, j'ai un character rigged, tout semble okay au niveau des controllers,
cependant lorsque je créer un walk cycle après avoir selectionné tous les controllers, les pieds et jambes fonctionnent correctement mais aucun mouvement ne s'appliquent aux bras et mains. j'ai essayé de désélectionner IK pour les controllers mains mais le fait de désélectionner IK, il semble que les controllers ne contrôlent plus les mains/bras, comme si le rig disparaissait. je ne trouve pas de solution,
merci de votre aide ;)
j'ai appris beaucoup avec tout vos autos, notamment celui sur Tuto.com , encore merci et j'espère trouver une solution a ce problème
Ekho

Penrose

Post by Penrose » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:52 pm

To anyone reading this post:

JUST FACE YOUR DUDE LEFT

If you have to change the direction just flip the precomp elsewhere.

I've had nothing but problems trying to make this work. Sure, I finally got him to walk the other direction, but his arms are bent the wrong way, but since IK is now forward you have to disable that to make it reverse and then the arms are no longer connected to the walk generator.

Just save yourself some trouble and face it to the left.

I would love to be proven wrong here...but I've had nothing but issues.

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Fri May 03, 2019 10:19 am

You just have to make the character face left before applying the walk cycle ; if the arms are not in the right position (bent the wrong way) you can adjust the FK values in the effect of the controller to move them to where you want, without activating back the IK.

( https://rainbox-dev.github.io/DuAEF_Dui ... #ik-and-fk )

You really have to understand IK and FK to animate the arms. In general, and how it works in Duik.

Also, you should learn to animate a walk cycle before using the automatic cycle in Duik, using FK for the arms (the way walk cycles are always animated) / IK for the arms should never be used unless there is an interaction between the hands and something else.

badmaryband

Post by badmaryband » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:36 pm

Has anyone found a solution to this? I have the same problem. One arm of the character does not get animated in the walk cycle. I have tried using new structures etc but nothing works. If I go in and turn off IK before OR after I have done the walk cycle, still does not work.

I've rigged a lot of other characters just fine, stuck on this one.

badmaryband

Post by badmaryband » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:41 pm

FOUND IT!

Both arms were set to "left"... changed the right one to right and it now works.