This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

hand rig. how to fix the elbow's direction

Rigging, animation, import/export of characters, props and cameras comprehensive tool set for After Effects.
Talwag

hand rig. how to fix the elbow's direction

Post by Talwag » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:18 pm

Hi friends,
I use Hand structure and Auto rig,
I want my character to hang up a cable phone. I want his hand to move straight from his ear to the phone base, so the elbow goes beneath the shoulder but it makes a strange movement.
is there a way to make the elbow go beneath the shoulder?
you can see the images to better understand.

and another little question, when I set the rigging settings, I didn't know if I should set it as right or left arm. is it right or left according to the character's point of view or is it according to me? hope the question is clear.

thanks
Tal

fmbvisuals

Re: hand rig. how to fix the elbow's direction

Post by fmbvisuals » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:14 pm

Hello Tal, did you try to tick/untick the Reverse parameter in "IK | Hand" effect on the hand controller?

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:53 am

You'll have to animate the checkbox posted by fmbvisuals

For the right or left parameter: it's always according to the character point of view, so it's never ambiguous.
Actually, this parameter is used only for the automatic walk cycle (yet) so you can ignore it in your case ;)

Talwag

Post by Talwag » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:37 pm

What is Fmbvisuals? I couldn't find that checkbox nor on the Duik documentation.

fmbvisuals

Post by fmbvisuals » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:33 am

Talwag wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:37 pm What is Fmbvisuals? I couldn't find that checkbox nor on the Duik documentation.
fmbvisuals is me, and the checkbox is in the effect controls panel of the hand controller ( C | Hand ), expand the IK | Hand fx tab. and you'll find the Reverse parameter

Talwag

Post by Talwag » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:39 pm

is there a method for it?
if I just add keyframes for the Reverse checkbox, it makes a big bump. so I added a keyframe for the position of the hand too, which helped me stop the bump but prevents the movement from being smooth.
I use 3 keyframes for the position of the hand:
1st keyframe for the beginning of the movement.
2nd keyframe is one frame before the hold keyframe of the reverse, to fix the bump,
3rd for the end of the movement.

I accidentally managed to stop the bump, but then when I want to ease the keyframes or to make the path of the position bezier, I have to fix it again.
am I missing something? just to remind; it is a simple movement of the arm from the characters ear to the table (hanging up the phone).

fmbvisuals

Post by fmbvisuals » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:48 am

You got the method, you have to keyframe the movement and then tweak the curves to make it smooth, if you don't feel confortable doing so or you find it too tedious, maybe you should think about giving fk animation a try. You just have to untick the IK parameter and keyframe on FK > Individual controls.