This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

Hand and wrist controller drift away from arm when position changes

Rigging, animation, import/export of characters, props and cameras comprehensive tool set for After Effects.
noahf

Hand and wrist controller drift away from arm when position changes

Post by noahf » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:05 am

Hello,

I'm currently animating a rigged character but I have a bit of a problem. As you can see from the photos, each time I move my wrist controller, the hand and arm only partially move with it. The farther I move it from its original position, the more the arm, hand, and controller drift apart.

I suspect it's due to making the layers 3D, but I really need to work in 3D space, so does anybody have any idea how I can stop this from happening? Thanks.

fmbvisuals

Re: Hand and wrist controller drift away from arm when position changes

Post by fmbvisuals » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:01 pm

noahf wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:05 am I suspect it's due to making the layers 3D, but I really need to work in 3D space
I think you're right, do you really need tu use 3d layers for the character's limbs? can't you just 3d a character precomp to insert it in a 3d space?

noahf

Post by noahf » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:08 pm

fmbvisuals wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:01 pm I think you're right, do you really need tu use 3d layers for the character's limbs? can't you just 3d a character precomp to insert it in a 3d space?
I am doing a lot of rotations, and I need the limbs to move over and under the body. There are also a lot of motions where I need to rotate the controllers such as the shoulders in 3D space.

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:27 am

Well... Duik is not tested with 3D layers at all, the whole idea is to rig 2D characters.
Moving layers behind/above is usually done by animating opacities with 2D layers to avoid 3D.
And in the very few cases cases where 3D rotation seems to be needed, either it can be faked by animating some effects or scale, or this could mean you'd be better in a 3D software...

fmbvisuals

Post by fmbvisuals » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:04 am

noahf wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:08 pm I am doing a lot of rotations, and I need the limbs to move over and under the body. There are also a lot of motions where I need to rotate the controllers such as the shoulders in 3D space.
As Duduf said, when you need those kind of movements, you normally fake it, and in digital 2d animation you try to avoid or at least limit those kind of poses, or you draw it the traditional way, and if you need it badly maybe the 2d is not the right choice. you could give 3d a try and fake the 2d instead (check for C4D Sketch & Toon)

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:13 am

Blender also has nice tools for 2D animation, and rigging in blender is not as difficult as it may seem at first ;)