This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

how to realign the bones of the rig without moving the images?

Rigging, animation, import/export of characters, props and cameras comprehensive tool set for After Effects.
matty1000

how to realign the bones of the rig without moving the images?

Post by matty1000 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:26 pm

if i need to make adjustments to the position of the bones of the rig how can i do this without moving the images that are parented to them?

"toggle edit mode" doesnt seem to work for this, not sure why

matty1000

Re: how to realign the bones of the rig without moving the images?

Post by matty1000 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:18 pm

wow...does nobody answer questions here?

fmbvisuals

Post by fmbvisuals » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:30 pm

hello! I usually do it by unparenting the connected layers before moving the bones, but I've never been able to do it when I had connectors, not even using the edit mode, that just displace all the elements. I use to duplicate the comp just after placing the bones and before rigging it with connectors so to avoid repeating the whole process. Let's wait for Duduf for a clearer explaination

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:52 am

I can't be clearer, you said it well ;)

As soon as there are complex expressions like IK on the rig, you won't be able to move the structures anymore, you have to make sure everything is in its right place before using the autorig and other tools. Just test all the rotations just after you've created the structures

matty1000

Post by matty1000 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:45 pm

thanks.

its tricky, because we dont always realise something is wrong with the placement until we try to animate the body.

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:05 pm

It's the way expressions work.
That being said, it's quick to remove the structures, create new ones and rig again.

I often tell students that even right in photoshop or illustrator they should test the rotations and search for the best place for the pivot, as the design depends on it too. Then add a small point as a reference on a layer above so its easy to create the structures.
With some little experience, you'll know how to place them as soon as you're drawing.