This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

Ape, primate or monkey walk cycle

Rigging, animation, import/export of characters, props and cameras comprehensive tool set for After Effects.
AronJoseph

Ape, primate or monkey walk cycle

Post by AronJoseph » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:56 pm

hey there!
i'm really new to rigging, just started last week.
been working on several automated walk cycles that have been going great:
45-march-of-evolution-full.gif
I've got the system down I think, but I don't really understand the "behind-the-scenes" so I'm kind of lost in this case:
45-evolution6_6-RIGGED-CYCLE_2019-02-04_23.47.51.jpg
I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to be doing in order to make the ape walk on his front arms correctly.

are there some sort of parameters in the automated cycle that may help me?
or should I just give up and do the arms frame by frame with some basic rig?

any help or advice would be amazing, thanks

Duduf

Re: Ape, primate or monkey walk cycle

Post by Duduf » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:10 am

Hi,

I would rig the arms as if the ape was a digitigrade (keeping the legs as they are, plantigrade), because it walks on its fingers.
The rig should be better for the walk animation.

Then you could animate the arms either by hand or try using the walk cycle with the method described in this course: https://en.tuto.com/after-effects/the-o ... ?cc=vyKT3i
(in the Cat/Walk cycle section)

AronJoseph

Re: Ape, primate or monkey walk cycle

Post by AronJoseph » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:19 pm

hey! thanks so much!
yes, the digigrade was the way to go, although it still seems as though the autocycle was ill equipt too handle such a non-standard walkcycle, although i'm probably just using it wrong, since i'm still so very new to duik.
I ended using keyframes on the arms using the mostly the fk of the sholder. It was extremly challenging but I learned so much.
march-of-evolution6s.gif
I'd love to hear input on the cycles if you have any

I'd also like to thank all those involved with the creation of this incredible open-sourced tool!
it made an unlikely task of creating six separate, unique walk cycles, into a fun and intuitive learning experience.
As a motion designer with only some rudimentary understanding of walk cycle I was able to learn and use the tool within a matter of days.
Thanks again,
you guys are literally advancing humanity, in a major way.
Aron Joseph Ehrlich