This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

"Re-use the same rig with other designs"

Rigging, animation, import/export of characters, props and cameras comprehensive tool set for After Effects.
Fiddlesticks

"Re-use the same rig with other designs"

Post by Fiddlesticks » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:12 pm

I'm trying to edit the structures in my DUIK rig, but it doesn't seem possible after I added controllers(even before baking them). I have a lot of controllers I've built for my character and I have several other characters that are very similar. I'd like to use the same rig and just alter the structures to precisely line up with the pivot points of the new artwork. Is this possible? What are the best practices for re-using the same rig with other designs? Thanks!

Duduf

Re: "Re-use the same rig with other designs"

Post by Duduf » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:16 am

Hi,

Unfortunately there's currently no simple way to move structures after IK have been created. You'd have to change some settings in the IK, and maybe update some expressions...

I'm thinking about a way do to this in a future version, but it involves a lot of development and testing...

Fiddlesticks

Post by Fiddlesticks » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:30 am

I’m not sure I 100% follow. I got the feeling this would be possible based on the following statement from “THE STRUCTURES, A NEW RIGGING PROCESS"...

https://rainboxprod.coop/en/tools/duik/

"This way, the rig you create is independent from the design. This means it’s easier to adjust the design even after the rig has been made, or even to re-use the same rig with other designs. Also, this rigging process is easier to fix or change if ever you need to adjust it even when you’re already in the process of animation.”

So, what are the best practices to “re-use the same rig with other designs”?

At this point is my only option to create a new structure for each character and then relink it to a copy of all of the controllers and hierarchy I’ve built?

Sorry for my confusion on the matter, I’d just like understand the best workflow for “re-use the same rig with other designs.”

Are there any tutorials or documentation on this subject that you can point me to?

Thanks!

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:08 am

Currently, you can use other designs if and only if the joints are in the same place.

As I said, we're working on a way to be able to edit the scructures even after they have been (auto)rigged.

We're also developping a very simple way to build characters from templates prepared in Ai or Ps which could be another way to quickly build different designs without re-doing every rigging steps