This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

parenting artwork to artwork problem

Rigging, animation, import/export of characters, props and cameras comprehensive tool set for After Effects.
badmaryband

parenting artwork to artwork problem

Post by badmaryband » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:21 pm

To animate, I'm using the puppet tool>bones>structure. Everything is working great, but I now want to parent the hair artwork to the head artwork so that it moves when the head moves (the head is rigged to the structure etc.)

When I parent, it does not rotate when the head rotates (same problem with the eyes. Is this something that needs to be done BEFORE I puppet pin, add bones, add structure? Is there ANY way to do it now, rather than start all over again?

thanks!

badmaryband

Re: parenting artwork to artwork problem

Post by badmaryband » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:45 pm

I've gone back and started again... as soon as I add bones to the head, the hair artwork does not follow the head... what am I doing wrong?

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:08 am

If there are bones on the puppet tool, they're controlling the layer, so parenting won't do anything (or would only create problems). As the bones will drag the layer, you don't have to parent it to anything.

badmaryband

Post by badmaryband » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:04 pm

There are no bones in the hair layer. There are bones in the head layer. How do I attach the hair to the head, so that it moves with the head?

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:16 pm

Parent them to the structures or the bones...