This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

Layers Disappearing and Rig won't precomp.

Rigging, animation, import/export of characters, props and cameras comprehensive tool set for After Effects.
Penrose

Layers Disappearing and Rig won't precomp.

Post by Penrose » Thu May 02, 2019 6:32 am

I'm at my wits end with this one.

I have a rig in a very large composition using nothing but shape layers and two hand layers that are precomped for the purpose of controlling which hands get used via time remapping and eventually a master property.

anyways, it's in a huge comp because I know the rig will get weird if I continually rasterize and so I scaled the rig way up before rigging anything.

I also have face controllers. All rigged with DUIk.

When I drag the "v2" comp into the "1920 x 1080" comp it doesn't show up at all. It even seems to corrupt the AE Ui. Such as trying to change the comp background to transparent, etc.

Also, at times the v2 comp suddenly goes blank as well. It's as if there are no layers whatsoever in the comp. Sometimes changing the frame rate from 29.97 to 30 would suddenly show the layers again. But it's hit and miss.

I've put a ton of work into this and it's freaking me out. My only guess is that DUIK or AE doesn't like this large comp I've made and it's causing problems. I know AE can get weird with large comps.

Would love if you could take a look at my file and see if you can see the same issue.

Thanks so much.

Duduf

Re: Layers Disappearing and Rig won't precomp.

Post by Duduf » Thu May 02, 2019 1:04 pm

Hi,

I'm not at the studio these days so I can't open your project yet (next week I can if you're a bit patient)

But I remember I had this kind of issues once, I believe it was some bug from Ae, which may be fixed in more recent versions. What version of After Effects are you using?

Maybe you can try to change the hardware acceleration options you'll find in the preferences of After Effects; don't forget to purge all cache also from time to time and especially when you have this kind of issues

Penrose

Post by Penrose » Thu May 02, 2019 10:31 pm

So, I was at one point running the latests version of AE 6.1 but hit some other issues and so rolled back to 6.0.1 which I'm on now. I have nuked the cache a millions times, uninstalled, reinstalled AE. Opened the same project on AE on a Windows machine vs. my Mac.

My only hunch is that the huge comp size is the problem. But my fear is now that if my hunch is wrong a bunch of work I will have to redo will fail in the same way. It also means that I can't scale up my precomp as large because of lower res.

Anyways...I'll see what happens. I can try reinstalling the newest AE but I am skeptical this will work.

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Fri May 03, 2019 10:20 am

I'll have a look at this project ASAP

By the way, I think you mean versions 16.1 ans 16.0.1 ;)