This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

single quotes in Duik's expressions -> bug in AE

ILJI

single quotes in Duik's expressions -> bug in AE

Post by ILJI » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:48 pm

Hi Duduf,

I am a happy supporter of Duik 15 and I am excited for the new crowdfunding campaign starting soon! :)
As I was testing Sander van Dijk's new plugin "Ray Dynamic Texture", Duik's expressions broke and Lloyd Alvarez told me: "The issue is because Duik writes expressions using single quotes and there is a bug in After Effects that does not update expressions with single quotes when renaming effects, it only does it when the expression is written with double quotes." Problem is, RDT does rename the effects of the layers and now the expressions are not getting updated automatically. Lloyd was so kind to add an option to deactivate the renaming for now, but maybe this issue corresponding to AE's bug could cause trouble in other cases as well..?
As he also says and we all know, Adobe isn't that fast with updates, I was wondering, if you are using the single quotes for a specific reason or could this be changed to double quotes? ...sorry, I don't know the advantages of single vs double quotes in general…

Thanks Duduf, cheers, Lars.

Duduf

Re: single quotes in Duik's expressions -> bug in AE

Post by Duduf » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:54 pm

Hi Lars,
Many thanks for your feedback!

We didn't know single quotes could cause any issue in After Effects, but Lloyd told us about this a few days ago; we're going to update Duik in a few weeks, and in this update we will remove all those single quotes.

I find single quotes a bit easier to read inside scripts, but it's not a big deal for us changing them to double quotes.

Have a nice weekend!
Duduf

ILJI

Re: single quotes in Duik's expressions -> bug in AE

Post by ILJI » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:28 am

Thanks for your quick reply!
Cool - thanks for changing the quotes. As said, this might be useful / error preventing for some other stuff too. ;)

Have a nice Sunday Duduf, cheers,

Lars.