This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

Overlapping layers from different characters

davidarbor

Overlapping layers from different characters

Post by davidarbor » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:04 pm

I have two characters, one of which is supposed to put his arm around the other's shoulder. Both characters are facing forward and in the flat are this is, of course, very east to illustrate. The primary character's arm is broken up into a few pieces with one part behind the second character's neck and then the forearm and hand are in front of the second character.

Is this something I can achieve with DUIK? The manual briefly mentions working with 3D layers, but I'm not sure to what extent. Is it to much to ask if I can mesh warp an arm in 3D space so it goes behind character 2's neck and then in front of her torso?

Attached is a still of the art I'm working with.

Thanks!

Duduf

Re: Overlapping layers from different characters

Post by Duduf » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:05 pm

davidarbor wrote:Is it to much to ask if I can mesh warp an arm in 3D space so it goes behind character 2's neck and then in front of her torso?
There's no way to do this in After Effects,
but what I would do is rig the arm using some puppet pins, bones and IK, then duplicate only the layer of the artwork (the duplicated one will be linked to the same bones), and finally use a mask to divide it in two parts, the forearm+hand in front of the second character, and the arm in the back.

davidarbor

Post by davidarbor » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:29 pm

That's good to know. Thank you so much for the response, I love using DUIK!

My last thought before I posted was to do just that—duplicate the layer—but I was working with a pre-comp of the full character (which isn't even being animated aside from the arm) and my masks weren't working because I wanted to mask the area where the arm will sit (around the female character), when really I have to mask the original unwarped mesh. Is that correct? I'll give this a whirl, thanks again!

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:43 pm

davidarbor wrote: I wanted to mask the area where the arm will sit (around the female character), when really I have to mask the original unwarped mesh. Is that correct? I'll give this a whirl, thanks again!

Correct!
This is a reason why it's always a good habit to keep the original keyframes/pose,
A lot of things, like adding stiffness, must be done on the original mesh