This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

Process Advice - Multiple Instances of Characters

SandyBD

Process Advice - Multiple Instances of Characters

Post by SandyBD » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:09 pm

First off, DUIK is an awesome tool, love using it!
So I'm doing an animation where there characters are on screen talking for a few sentences, then they go off screen, and then pop back on multiple times over the course of the animation. I'm wondering the best way to approach animating this; should I pre-comp each character for the entire duration of the sound file, or should I animate the times they're on screen as individual pre-comps?
Just wondering if anyone has any experience/advice/hard-won knowledge they'd like to share about this... ;)

Cheers!

Duduf

Re: Process Advice - Multiple Instances of Characters

Post by Duduf » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:46 pm

Hi!

I don't think there's an option better than the other, it depends on your own habits with AE... Maybe if the sound file is very long, it could be easier to animate on separate precomps, in case you have to come back working on some animations, it will be easier to find the times you need, and to re-render only corrected animations.

If you use proxies too, I think that having multiple precomps make it easier to render and keep proxies up-to-date.

But you need to be careful with composition names if you have expressions working with values outside of the precomps, this could become a real pain if some comps have the same name and you don't notice it soon enough ;)

SandyBD

Re: Process Advice - Multiple Instances of Characters

Post by SandyBD » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:06 pm

Great point about the names, I can see that causing huge headaches if you have multiple pre-comps of the same characters. I think I'll stick with a single pre-comp for now and see how it goes.
Thanks!