This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

Efficient way of reusing rigged characters

Draenokh

Efficient way of reusing rigged characters

Post by Draenokh » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:27 am

Hello fellow Duikers,

I am currently making an animation where I have a character appear in multiple scenes. I've got a character rigged up and I wanted to ask if there is an efficient way of reusing a rigged character? I realized that I can't just copy and paste the character into another comp. The character is currently in the main comp but duplicating the comp will not make a separate character (The duplicated comp will mirror the original comp). I'd really hate to keep rigging the same character for every scene. Can anyone help me with this?

Duduf

Re: Efficient way of reusing rigged characters

Post by Duduf » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:18 pm

- You should not animate all shots in the same After Effects project, but each shot in a separate project, this is a better way to organize the production, with lighter projects (and if you have a problem, you only lose one shot).
Then, just keep the rigged character in a separate project and import it in each shot.

- Another way is to use the script "True Comp Duplicator" which you can find (free) on aescripts.com, which is usually able to duplicate rigs and updates the expressions so everything is correctly duplicated. But, as I said, this is much heavier if your project is a bit complex.

Draenokh

Re: Efficient way of reusing rigged characters

Post by Draenokh » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:03 pm

Duduf wrote:- You should not animate all shots in the same After Effects project, but each shot in a separate project, this is a better way to organize the production, with lighter projects (and if you have a problem, you only lose one shot).
Then, just keep the rigged character in a separate project and import it in each shot.

- Another way is to use the script "True Comp Duplicator" which you can find (free) on aescripts.com, which is usually able to duplicate rigs and updates the expressions so everything is correctly duplicated. But, as I said, this is much heavier if your project is a bit complex.
The script is a lifesaver! Thank you so much! You made my day. I've always been frustrated with the fact that I can't duplicate a comp!