This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

Can't rig Puppet Pin Bones.

Animatrix

Can't rig Puppet Pin Bones.

Post by Animatrix » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:51 pm

Hello.

I am new to this tool. I was doing just fine with the manual until Roto Morph came up and I watched the Vimeo tutorial by Duduf, because I needed some help. The tutorial is great, but then there was the second example with the leg, which has puppet pin bones and "a simple rig".

Well I am trying to recreate the example in the video and I fail. Usually I am able to solve problems with brute force but this time I need some advice. I would really like to use this tool in the future so I would be very grateful to get some help.

I am using After Effects CC 2014 / MacOs Sierra.

Here is what happens: To get to the bottom of the problem I created a VERY simple leg with only 3 pins. When I select the Bones in the correct order and finally the Controller I hit IK and then this pops up:
Bone Rig.png
So my question would be: Am I doing sth wrong or is it some kind of bug? How can I achieve a rigged leg with puppet pins like shown in the vimeo turorial?

Thanks,
Alex

Duduf

Re: Can't rig Puppet Pin Bones.

Post by Duduf » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:57 pm

Hi!

Just do not select the bone at the end of the leg, the one on the toes, which is not to be included in the IK ;)

(you may want to add a knee too)

Animatrix

Post by Animatrix » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:34 pm

Thank you for your quick reply.

So here is what I did:
I selected Ankle, Knee and Thigh then the controller and made a 2-LIK&G. Then I parented the toe to the ankle.
2nd try.png
But when I move the controller, it still does not look right (compared to your tutorial):
Bildschirmfoto 2017-11-15 um 18.16.29.png
Bildschirmfoto 2017-11-15 um 18.08.14.png
When I try to make a 3LIK I get an error message.

Did I misunderstand you? :(

Animatrix

Post by Animatrix » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:46 pm

I think my problem was that my ankle was made into Goal and I had to manually delete the code from the expressions (there was no FX added to switch off Goal). Am I right?

EDIT: I think I got it now. I made IK for the leg except toes and turned off the goal expression in the ankle. Now the leg is behaving like in the video. I think I was confused because there was no FX for Goal in the layer. But if I manually add the IK Goal to the layer I can switch it off without deletening the expression seperately.

Anyway. Thanks. I will continue with the tutorial now. Merci! :idea:
Last edited by Animatrix on Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:51 pm

That's good,

The effect to deactivate the goal is on the controler layer, not on the ankle itself. If the rig works (and it seems to) it means the effect is actually somewhere ;)

Anyway, when animating, you'll have to animate the rotation of the controller, active goal or not.

Animatrix

Post by Animatrix » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:55 pm

Duduf wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:51 pm The effect to deactivate the goal is on the controler layer, not on the ankle itself. If the rig works (and it seems to) it means the effect is actually somewhere ;)
Oh yes, now I see it myself. ha ha. Merci.