This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

Issue between auto-rig and "continuously rasterize" AE function

thefavero

Issue between auto-rig and "continuously rasterize" AE function

Post by thefavero » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:23 pm

Hi, i've got the following problem:

i created a character in Adobe Illustrator, i've imported it in After Effects and rigged it with autorig. Now, i need it bigger but, if i flag "continuously rasterize" for each of levels of the characters, the last parts of the IK chain, (forearms and tibias), don't work any more. In order to make them work, i have to deactivate "continuously rasterize" for those levels.

Can you help me, please? It would be urgent, i have to deliver a job.

Many thanks,

Francesco

Duduf

Re: Issue between auto-rig and "continuously rasterize" AE function

Post by Duduf » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:43 pm

Hi,

Continuous rasterization and vector layers are always messy with Duik, especially if you use After Effects' puppet tool. This is because of the way After Effects changes the coordinates of the layers, and how the puppet tools works, there's nothing we can do to improve this in Duik.

Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do after having rigged the layers.

But, before the rig, the best is to scale up the character to the highest needed size, depending on your storyboard. Then you can precompose each layer and rig the character.
Here at Rainbox, we often even have multiple rigs for each character, at different sizes and even for some close ups we have rigs of some parts of the characters.
This way After Effects works faster, not having to render the whole high-definition-character, which is a huge gain of comfort when animating the characters.

thefavero

Post by thefavero » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:16 am

Hi Duduf, thanks a lot for your answer and good luck for Rainbox ;)

thefavero

Post by thefavero » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:43 am

Hi Duduf, I forgot: which is the best way to scale a rigged character? To scale the pelvis layer? And which one to transport a rigged character in a new composition, in order to animate it there? Copy and paste? Many thanks.

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:36 pm

Hi,

To scale a character, the best is to create a "Master" controller:
parent every controller which has no parent to this new controller. This way this master controller should move the whole character, and you can use it to scale it.

It is possible that some parts won't scale as they should, or may be flip or rotate. If this happens, you may have to add some expressions to the scale of those layers so they get the right scale value from the master controller.
Scaling a character is not always easy...
Most people prefere animate in precompositions and scale the precomposition layer in the main comp.

You should be able to copy paste the character from one comp to another, just don't forget any shy or locked layer ;)
Sometimes AE disables expressions when copying and pasting a rigged character, but you just have to re-enable them to make it work.

thefavero

Post by thefavero » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:13 pm

Thanks a lot :)

Banana

Post by Banana » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:40 pm

Hi guys. I have similar problem with continuously rasterize and "fx" layers where DUIK IK expressions are applied. When I hit "rasterize" field, my layers go crazy. When I turn off rasterize, it looks normal. But, I need rasterize option due to 3D camera zooming. And, of course, all my layers are vectors (I created vector just for the reason to have no limitation with camera zooming). Any idea? Or I have to disable DUIK IK functionality in total? Thanks in advance! Bests.

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:32 pm

IK (and other complex expressions) are usually difficult to work with vectors and 3D layers.

The ideal workflow is to prefer pixel layers, but with enough resolution; when storyboarding your animation, you have to keep in mind the limitations of after Effects and Duik, but it's always possible to use big layers, or switch different resolutions using opacities, etc.