This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

Two characters running

Rigging, animation, import/export of characters, props and cameras comprehensive tool set for After Effects.
badmaryband

Two characters running

Post by badmaryband » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:15 pm

So I am animating two people running holding hands. I assume that it would be best for me to animate them kind of like a large creature with four legs? So their hands that they are holding can be one object and I get the pacing right?

Also, the characters are running from a riot - so fast, leaning forward, "real" - are there tweaks that can be done to the walk cycle to get me this? Or should I just animate it "from scratch" using the IK rig.

thanks!

Duduf

Re: Two characters running

Post by Duduf » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:45 am

Hi,

First, no, it won't be possible using the walkcycle, a run cycle is too different.

I would rig two characters separately, and then:

Let's say you have Susie and John, and Susie holds the hand of John with her right arm:

- As I prefer to animate the arms using FK which is way easier, I would only keep the right arm of Susie in IK, and parent her right hand controller to the left hand structure of John. This way you can animate both arms of John in FK, the right arm of Susie will follow, and you can animate her left arm in FK.

- Then, you can animate the run cycle (from scratch), in sync first on both characters (if they're approximately the same height. If they're not, try to stay on multiples, for example the taller will have a run cycle with a duration twice lower than the small one), so this is easier.

- Finally, you can just offset one of the two cycles in time, and make some final adjustements

Sorry for the late reply ;)

badmaryband

Re: Two characters running

Post by badmaryband » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:28 pm

Thank you!