This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

Extract controllers to multiple parent comps

Rigging, animation, import/export of characters, props and cameras comprehensive tool set for After Effects.
mio_

Extract controllers to multiple parent comps

Post by mio_ » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:24 am

Hi and thanks for DUIK Bassel.

I have 4 characters, each in their own precomps. I need to animate them in multiple parent comps (scene01, scene02, scene03 etc). I extracted controllers to scene01 and have animated in scene01 comp. I have then extracted controllers for character1 in scene02 comp but I cannot animate the controllers in this comp because I have animated them in scene01 comp. Is there a way around this please?

Or, if there is not a way to do this, is there a way to un-extract controllers, to put them back in their original precomp?

Many thanks.

Duduf

Re: Extract controllers to multiple parent comps

Post by Duduf » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:27 am

Hi,

With the current version of Duik, there's no way to un-extract controllers, but it will be possible in just a few hours when Duik Bassel.2 will be released.

In order to animate the same character in several comps, there are two ways to do this:

- When you extract with expressions, as you did and as Duik does by default (until the new update soon): You'll have to duplicate the rigged character first, with all its precomp. This can easily be done with "True Comp Duplicator" from aescripts.com

- You can also extract controllers using master properties. This is an option already available in Duik but it's not very useful yet: it has a very bad performance. But it enables you to use the character in as many scenes as you wish. That said, again, wait a little. Things are going to change with some updates soon.

mio_

Post by mio_ » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:16 am

Thanks Duduf.
I look forward to Duik Bassel 2, and to the master properties updates - I'll look out for them .

mio_

Post by mio_ » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:16 am

Hi,
is there a way to 'un-extract' controllers yet? I have used master properties to extract, but controlling from the parent comp is extremely slow so I would like to control from the precomp instead.
Thanks
Amber

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:37 am

There's no "un-extract" option yet, but if you used master properties there's nothing to remove. You can still use the rigged comp as you wish. Of course there are a bunch of master properties but it's not a problem to just ignore them.
You could of course remove them all, but there's no way in Ae to remove them all at once, I'll have to script that too...