This forum has been permanently closed and archived; you can still access all content but can't post anymore.

Of course, you can still join us in other places!
To get support and talk about RxLaboratory and with the team, come here: https://rainboxlab.org/support/

Mapping Controllers to Master Properties

Rigging, animation, import/export of characters, props and cameras comprehensive tool set for After Effects.
hrundi

Mapping Controllers to Master Properties

Post by hrundi » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:23 pm

Hi, :-)

Iam sorry, but I am new to this feature and didnt found anything on the overall procedure, so...

How does this work in general? I have to map all of a character controllers (C|HandR, C|HandL etc.) to the Essential Graphics Window, right?
But since Iam not able to drag those (Guide) Layers from my main Puppet Comp directly into this window - what is the precedure to get a character fully into it, in order to animate it independently in multiple comps?

Hope you can help me to get into this :-)
Best regards
hrundi

hrundi

Re: Mapping Controllers to Master Properties

Post by hrundi » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:46 pm

Ok, I got it (Precomp the Rigging-Comp, then Extract Controllers to Master Properties via DUIK). :-)

Now, I had already extracted Controllers (from a Precomp containing the Head of my puppet) in my Rigging-Comp, which are not being taken over to the new MP Comp. Any way to get them in here?

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:11 pm

You mean you've added new controllers and you need to extract them too? Just run the extraction again, Duik should update everything!

hrundi

Post by hrundi » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:17 pm

Ok thanks. :-))

Hmm, but I already havent got the clue right now.
My goal is to use a single puppet to animate in multiple compositions.
Now lets say, Ive got my master composition with all rigging stuff in it. How to go from here?

hrundi

Post by hrundi » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:42 pm

Is this the right procedure to get one Rig independently working in multiple compositions:

1. Your fully rigged character in a main comp
2. Put the Rig comp in another Container Comp, extract controllers from Rig comp (use master properties)
3. Put the Container Comp in your Scene #1, extract controllers from Rig comp again (or from the Container comp?). Animate this.
4. Put the Container Comp in your Scene #2, extract controllers... etc.

?

I love the idea to work on my scenes this way instead of copying my rigs via the True Comp Duplicator every time, but animating these Master Prop Rigs is extreeemly slow here... :shock:

Duduf

Post by Duduf » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:50 pm

Yup, that's how to do it, and yup, it's slow. It's unfortunate, it it was improved with Ae 2020, just imagine how it was before.....

The only other way, as you said, is true comp duplicator...

hrundi

Post by hrundi » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:48 am

I see, thank you very much. :-)

Yesterday, while testing all this, TCD did a very good job here. In the past, some of my rigs (Especially: The Headrig) gets broken after copying as long as I was using BQ Headrig for this task. As I can see now, this happens no more because of using DUIK for this as well, so...

...all works fine here.

Iam deeply impressed by your work, what a phantastic job you did.

Thank you! :-)